1. West Virginia: Bill Stewart resigned over the summer after West Virginia assigned Dana Holgorsen to head coach in waiting for 2012 and placed him as offensive coordinator for this season. Holgorsen now takes over for the Mountaineers but has some big expectations. The Geno Smith to Tavon Austin connection should be used alot this season while the Mountaineers count on the support of on of the best defensive lines in College Football. Replacing Noel Devine and having a solid running game could be the problem in Morgantown.
|Isaiah Pead had three 150+ yard rushing |
games last season for the Bearcats
3. South Florida: B.J. Daniels has been a love hate player for Bulls fans but looks to be the savior for the 2011 season. His amazing ability to escape from trouble with his legs but his very questionable throwing decisions make fans go crazy. DE Ryan Giddins and LB Sam Barrington will led a strong and athletic Bulls defense that looks to take advantage of coaching problems at Pitt and West Virginia and win their first ever Big East Championship.
4. Pittsburgh: The Pitt Panthers have consistently been at the top of the Big East but have failed to hold up that Big East trophy since the Larry Fitzgerald days back in 2004. Tino Sunseri returns at quarterback and Ray Graham will lead the rushing attack anchor by an offensive line should be the best in the Big East. Pitt has the talent to do great things this season but I believe that this first season under Todd Graham will be a struggle.
5. Syracuse: Syracuse got back to a bowl game last year for the first time since 2004 and with 13 starters back they look to improve on an 8-5 record. Ryan Nassib comes back to take command of the offense while Antwon Bailey will be the go to guy in the backfield for the Orange. The defense lost 6 starters and most of their leadership from last years team so we will have to wait and see how it looks come their first game vs Wake Forest.
6. Louisville: Charlie Strong did an unbelievable job in his first season as the Cardinals head coach last season. Taking the team in a 180 degree turn, taking them to bowl game and having one of the best recruiting class in team history. RB Victor Anderson will led the offense and DT Greg Scruggs will be the defensive leader for the Cardinals. Strong lost 25 seniors and 11 starters from their bowl team last season and I think it will be a couple of years before the Cardinals are back on top of the Big East but they still should be headed back to a Bowl in 2011.
|WVU's Keith Tandy should be one|
of the nations best corners in 2011
8. Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights have the potential for a dominant aerial attack with returning quarterback Chas Dodd throwing to two of the best receivers in the Big East in Mohammed Sanu and Mark Harrison. The real question is if the line can protect Dodd after losing four starters. The defense that gave up 69 points to Cincy last year needs to have improved greatly over the off-season for them to have a shot at making a bowl game this upcoming season.
Player of the year: Zach Collaros, QB, Cincinnati
Defensive Player of the Year: Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia
Coach of the Year: Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
Freshman of the Year: Savon Higgins, RB, Rutgers